In recent years, the world has seen a significant shift in the way we work. The COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the adoption of remote work, and this trend is showing no signs of slowing down. In a remote workers survey from February 2023, the Pew Research Center found that now approximately 35% of US employees work remotely all the time.
Enter the world of work-from-home (WFH) tech jobs, which offer exciting opportunities for those seeking remote and flexible careers. In this blog post, we will explore the best work-from-home jobs in 2023, focusing on the tech industry, highlighting the key features that make them ideal for remote work, and providing valuable tips for aspiring tech professionals looking to work remotely.
Key Features of Top WFH Careers
Before we look into the specific tech roles, let’s outline what makes a tech career ideal for remote work. The following key features contribute to the attractiveness of these roles:
- High demand & growth potential: tech industries continue to thrive, offering job security and opportunities for career growth.
- Compensation: many tech roles offer competitive salaries, making them financially rewarding.
- Flexibility: remote tech jobs often come with flexible work hours, allowing you to balance your work and personal life effectively.
- No degree requirement: unlike traditional careers, many tech roles don’t require a four-year degree. Skills and experience can often outweigh formal education.
- Scalability: the digital nature of tech work means that it can be scaled efficiently and doesn’t require a physical presence.
- Globalization: remote tech jobs can be done from anywhere in the world, opening opportunities for global collaboration.
- Start-up culture: tech companies, particularly startups, often embrace remote work, offering a dynamic and innovative work environment.
- Job security & future proofing: the tech industry is constantly evolving, offering opportunities to learn and adapt, ensuring job security.
- Continuous learning: tech professionals are encouraged to keep learning and updating their skills to stay competitive in the field.
Now that we’ve established these key features, let’s explore the best work-from-home tech jobs in 2023.
Best Work From Home Jobs in 2023
Software development is a thriving field with huge potential for remote work. Here are two prominent roles within this domain:
- Front end developers: these developers are responsible for creating the user interfaces and user experiences of websites and applications. They ensure that the design is visually appealing and user-friendly. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for web developers is projected to grow by 8% from 2020 to 2030, faster than the average for all occupations. On average, remote front-end developers can earn anywhere from $60,000 to $120,000 or more per year.
- Back end developers: these professionals specialize in databases, scripting, and website architecture. They focus on the server-side of web development, ensuring that the website functions smoothly. The demand for software developers, including back-end developers, is expected to grow even more substantially, with a projected 22% increase from 2020 to 2030. On average, they can earn between $70,000 to $140,000 or more annually, depending on their skills and experience.
Curious about how AI will affect software development in the coming years? Read: The Impact of AI on Software Development: An Interview with Nick Suwyn
User interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design are integral to creating visually appealing and user-friendly websites and applications. Here are two roles within this domain:
- UI designers: Focusing on the interactive and visual elements of websites and apps, UI designers ensure that the designs are not only aesthetically pleasing but also user-friendly. They ensure that the design is not only aesthetically pleasing but also intuitive for users. This role offers substantial potential for remote work. The average salary for a user interface (UI) designer in the United States is $92,247 per year.
- UX designers: these designers are responsible for researching and implementing user-friendly designs. They focus on understanding user behaviors and preferences to create seamless and enjoyable user experiences. As more companies embrace remote work, the demand for talented UI/UX designers is expected to rise. The average salary for a UX designer in the United States is $103,691, with a typical salary range between $90,550 and $119,266.
Digital engineering encompasses roles that involve managing and optimizing the digital infrastructure of a company. Here are two significant roles within this domain:
- DevOps engineers: these engineers streamline and oversee the development pipeline, ensuring efficient and automated processes. Their work is crucial for companies looking to scale and improve their software development practices. The average salary for a DevOps engineer in the United States is $129,952 per year.
- Cloud engineers: these tech professionals specialize in cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure. As more businesses migrate to the cloud for their operations, the demand for cloud engineers is on the rise. This role can be performed effectively from anywhere with an internet connection. The average salary for a cloud engineer in the United States is $135,279, with a typical salary range between $124,398 and $146,662.
Digital Marketing & Content Strategy
Digital marketing and content strategy roles have also embraced remote work. Here are some key roles within this domain:
- Content creators & editors: tasked with producing resonant online content, content creators and editors craft everything from blog posts and articles to videos and social media content. This includes blog posts, articles, videos, and social media content. The demand for quality content remains high, making this a viable remote career option. The average salary for a content creator in the United States is $40,750.
- SEO experts: search engine optimization (SEO) experts play a crucial role in ensuring that content reaches its target audience through improved search engine rankings. This skill set is in high demand, and remote work is common in the SEO industry. The average salary for a SEO Specialist is $61,847 per year in United States.
- Social Media Strategists: these marketers curate and strategize online brand presences on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. As businesses continue to invest in digital marketing, this role offers remote work opportunities. The average salary for a social media strategist in the United States is $56,963.
A Decade of Empowerment: My Journey as a Remote Digital Marketer and Content Strategist
As a digital marketer and content strategist, I’ve had the privilege of working from the comfort of my home for almost a decade now. In 2015, when remote work was still a relatively novel concept, I made the (at the time) bold decision to break free from the traditional office cubicle I occupied in Boston. It was a leap of faith that has transformed my life in countless ways. Over the years, I’ve seen the remote work landscape evolve and grow, and now, I can confidently say that it’s one of the best career choices anyone can make.
The flexibility that comes with working from home has been a game-changer for me. Being able to tailor my work environment to suit my preferences has not only boosted my productivity but also enhanced my overall job satisfaction. No more long commutes, rigid office hours, or distracting office politics. Instead, I’ve been able to create a work routine that aligns with my natural rhythms, allowing me to produce top-notch content and marketing strategies while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
Meanwhile, the digital landscape has continued to evolve, presenting new opportunities and challenges. The past decade has seen a shift towards more data-driven decision-making and a growing emphasis on creating authentic, value-driven content. Having the time and space to stay ahead of these trends and constantly adapting my strategies has been both exhilarating and rewarding. As the world of remote work continues to expand, I’m excited to be a part of it.
Tips for Aspiring Tech Professionals Looking to Work Remotely
If you aspire to work from home and delve into the world of tech, there are several essential tips to help you kickstart your remote career:
Gain the Skills
Remote work in the tech industry often demands specialized skills. Consider enrolling in a coding bootcamp like those offered here at Promineo Tech. Our online courses cover a wide range of areas, including back end development, front end development, digital marketing, and data engineering. These courses provide a structured learning environment and hands-on experience that can fast-track your journey to becoming a remote tech professional. Investing in skill development is the first step towards a successful remote career.
Technology is ever-evolving, and remote tech professionals must stay ahead of the curve. Continuous learning is key to remaining relevant in the fast-paced tech world. Keep yourself updated with the latest trends and technologies in your chosen field by enrolling in online courses and obtaining relevant certifications. This commitment to ongoing education not only enhances your expertise but also demonstrates your dedication to potential employers.
Looking for free resources on learning to code? Check out: 3 Free Resources to Learn How to Code
Network, Network, Network
Building a strong professional network is essential for remote tech professionals. Utilize platforms like LinkedIn to connect with industry peers, potential clients, and employers. Attend virtual conferences, webinars, and online meetups to expand your network beyond geographical boundaries. Networking not only opens doors to job opportunities but also provides valuable insights and mentorship from experienced professionals in your field.
By following these tips, you’ll be better prepared to embark on a successful remote tech career in 2023 and beyond. The combination of acquiring the right skills, staying up-to-date with industry trends, and networking with like-minded professionals will pave the way for a rewarding and fulfilling work-from-home experience.
Read more: The Fastest Growing Tech Careers in 2023
In 2023, the best work-from-home jobs are in the tech industry. These roles offer high demand, competitive salaries, and the flexibility to work from anywhere. Whether you’re interested in software development, UI/UX design, digital engineering, or digital marketing, there are ample opportunities to build a successful remote career.
If you’re ready to take the first step toward a rewarding tech career, consider enrolling in a tech bootcamp like those offered here at Promineo Tech. Our affordable and accessible online programs can equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in the world of remote tech work. Explore Promineo Tech’s range of bootcamps today and set yourself on the path to a rewarding digital nomad career.